Discovery Plus was just launched and it seems to be gathering a lot of attention and rightly so, the platform boasts a huge content library of over 55,000 shows in 25 different countries. Additionally, Discovery Plus supports most platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Android TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, and much more.
The new streaming service, (branded officially as “discovery +”) launched on January 4 in the US. It comes from Discovery Inc, the cable TV company that owns and operates a variety of networks that mostly show nonscripted TV series. The streaming service includes shows, both old and more recent, from a number of networks. Those include the Discovery mothership, along with TLC, HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Animal Planet, ID, Trvl Channel, OWN, and more. It also includes shows from non-Discovery Inc cable networks, including A&E, Lifetime, and History. In addition, the services offer many shows from the UK’s BBC network.
While Discovery previously released some of its shows on other streaming services, including Netflix, the company has now decided to become a direct competitor. As of this writing, Discovery says its service has over 2,500 older and recent shows, which total over 55,000 episodes.
How much is Discovery Plus?
Discovery Plus in the US has two subscription tiers. Both offer the same content and features, but the tier that costs $4.99 a month includes ads. You can do away with all commercials if you pay a bit more money. The ad-free tier costs $6.99.
Can I get it for free?
The service comes with a seven-day free trial, which means you can sign up and stream all you want for a week. You can cancel your subscription before the trial period ends and not be charged.
Discovery Plus supports up to five user profiles per account. Each account also supports up to four concurrent streams. Some of the service’s content will be available to stream in 4K resolution for 4K-enabled Amazon Fire TV devices, along with the 4K Apple TV set-top box. More devices will add 4K support in the coming months. The higher resolution content is mostly nature and animal-related programming. You can find that content if you use the search terms “UHD”, “Ultra HD”, and “4K”.
The service has recently added Virtual Channels. These will let you channel surf through 24/7 streams of shows like 90 Day Fiancé, House Hunters, Chopped, Fixer Upper, and others.
What TV platforms are supported by Discovery Plus?
Discovery has not discontinued its channels; you can still watch them with your regular subscription through your cable provider. To keep the two worlds, separate, the Discovery Plus Streaming platform is a completely web-based utility that can be installed on any supported platform. The company also has dedicated apps for devices which will make it easier for you to access Discovery Plus.
TV Platforms currently supported by Discovery Plus
- Android TV
- Android TV 5.0 or higher
- Amazon Fire TV
- Fire TV Cube
- Fire TV
- Fire TV Stick
- Fire TV Edition
- Apple TV (tvOS 12.0 or higher)
- iPadOS (iOS 12.0 or higher)
- Samsung Smart TVs (2017 or newer models)
- Xbox One, Series X & Series S
While some of these apps support the purchase of a premium plan from within the app, others do not. Hence, if you wish to purchase the premium plan then we recommend doing so on your PC or Mac and then simply logging in with your account on your TV. This will help prevent you from being redirected to a desktop in case the app does not support this feature or prevent failed transactions in case the recent release of the app is not well optimized for your platform. Once you have subscribed to the premium plan, you can follow one of the guides below to get Discovery Plus on your TV easily.
How To Activate Discovery Plus On TV?
Suppose you want to purchase the premium plan and jump into another world with the latest original series available in Discovery Plus. So, let’s take a look at different methods to activate Discovery Plus on TV.
Did you ever hear about Roku TV? Let me tell you; Discovery Plus has been launched or released on both Roku TV as well as Amazon Fire TV, which means now you can enjoy unlimited entertainment through the Discovery Plus services.
Activate Discovery Plus on Roku TV
You may access Discovery Plus via Roku TV. Here, we tell you how to activate Discovery Plus on Roku TV.
- Firstly, tap on the home button from your Roku remote.
- Navigate and choose the option Streaming Channels to open the Channel Store.
- You’ll find a list of categories named, new, featured, and popular right at the top of the Channel Store.
- Now, in the search channels, type Discovery Plus.
- Since Discovery Plus is a paid service, so you need to choose the Buy option. After that, the Discovery Plus channel will automatically install.
- In case you have any Roku account pin or password, then you’ll be asked to enter it.
Activate Discovery Plus on Amazon Fire TV
You may try Amazon fire compatible devices with Discovery Plus. But, before that, be sure that your device must be compatible to run Discovery Plus. To use this, follow the process we describe below:
- Turn on your Fire Device.
- Use your remotes search button to search for Discovery Plus.
- Now, choose the correct app from the search results.
- After that, click on Get.
- Then, in just a few seconds, Amazon will download and install the app.
- Now, after installation, open the Discover Plus app on your Amazon Fire device.
- Sign in with your Discovery Plus account or create a new one and then get a Plus membership.
- After sign in, you’ll automatically able to watch all the Plus subscription content on your TV.
Activate Discovery Plus on Apple TV
- Power on your Apple TV and go to the App store.
- In-App Store, search for Discovery Plus.
- From the appeared result, select the appropriate one.
- You may also use the voice search to search the Discovery Plus app.
- Tap on the install button. The application will now automatically be installed on your Apple TV.
- Now, at last, sign in and enjoy the Discovery Plus content.
Activate Discovery Plus on Android TV
- Switch on your Android TV and directly open the Play Store.
- Now, search for Discovery Plus from the search menu.
- After that, from the search result, select the appropriate one.
- Tap on the install button. The application will now automatically installed on your Android TV.
- Now, sign in with your Plus subscription account info and enjoy the Discovery Plus premium contents.
- Remember, if you Android TV with an android version lower than 5.0, this application might not work on your Android TV.
Activate Discovery Plus on Xbox One
- Open your Xbox one and go to the Store section.
- Under the categories section, select the search option.
- After that, type Discovery Plus and select the right one from the appeared result.
- Now, you will be directed towards its store page.
- Choose the Get it Free option located right side to install it on your Xbox One.
- But, before that, a disclaimer will prompt regarding in-app purchases. Tap on Confirm to proceed with the further installation process.
- Now, go to My Apps and Games after installation and launch the Discovery plus app.
- Lastly, sign in with your premium account and enjoy the Discovery Plus content.